a dead process (a ``zombie'')

Danielisz Laszlo laszlo_danielisz at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 12:21:08 PDT 2007

One day I was at a restaurant explaining process control to one of my disciples.

I was mentioning how we have to kill the children (child processes) if
they become unresponsive. Or we can even set an alarm for the children
to kill themselves. That the parent need to wait (wait3) and
acknowledge that the child has died or else it will become a zombie.
The look of horror the woman sitting across had was unforgettable. I
tried to explain it was a computer software thing but it was too late,
she fled terrified, probably to call the police or something. I didn't
really want to stick around too long to find out.

From: man ps Z Marks a dead process (a ``zombie'').

I found it on http://www.unixprogram.com/churchofbsd/index.html