Updating Ports

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Oct 19 05:15:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:46:55 -0400
Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> 	3) It is possible to put port-related settings in
> /etc/make.conf.  I discourage this, as that file gets used for
> /every/ make session and I consider it asking for trouble to clutter
> it with items that may accidentally overlap with another port.  (The
> risk is very small ... but it's still not the right tool for the
> job.)

People tend argue that the other way around, that putting port build
settings in a configuration file that's specific to a single tool is
wrong.

You don't have to set anything globally in make.conf, you can do it
like this:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/net-mgmt/net-snmp}
WITH_TKMIB=yes
.endif

and that can be simplified by using portconf, which puts a single line
in make.conf and reads in the settings from its own configuration file.