Two questions about UNIX(r) certification.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Oct 18 10:37:19 PDT 2007

I recently noticed that Apple's new OS, Leopard, is Unix certified.

I'd imagine that the big reason that FreeBSD hasn't done this yet is: It
costs a lot of money.

That said, if in theory one were to try to get the operating system
certified (say, to increase awareness and market share versus the
penguinistas)...

a) approximately how much money is "a lot"?

and

b) How far short, technically, does FreeBSD fall from the standard (we'll
ignore operational semantics for the time being)

-Dan

--

"It's like GTA, except you pay for it, and you're allowed to use the car."

-Josh, on Zipcar on-demand car-rental, 3/20/05