sendmail problems

Duane Winner dwinner at dwinner.net
Wed Oct 17 14:33:40 PDT 2007

Hello,

I need help to resolve a problem with my sendmail server.

In my /var/log/maillog, I've been seeing:

sm-mta[1753]: l9H4EoAn001753: outbound-mail-10.bluehost.com
[69.89.17.210] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to IPv4

I use this server to manage mailman lists, so I knew something was wrong
when I started notice that my own list posts (using a bluehost.com
account) were not showing up.
So I looked in the logs and noticed the above.

At first I thought it might be bluehost.com acting up again, but then
tried to send mail from a gmail.com account. Same thing:

sm-mta[1785]: l9H4OdFq001785: py-out-1112.google.com [64.233.166.176]
did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to IPv4

It accepts fine from my company's external email server (different
domain, different network), and also accepts from my att.net email
account, and many others who post to my lists.

I'm not sure where to even begin looking. Any help appreciated!

-DW