Following directions doesn't seem to work: Adding users in NIS

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Oct 15 13:18:01 PDT 2007

David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:54:45 -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>> adduser(8) doesn't know anything about NIS.  I don't know any
>> automated way of adding users to a NIS map, but my home network is
>> small enough that I don't bother.
>>
> I was using pw, which claims to be able to update NIS via the -Y
> option, but frankly, the behavior you describe seems to match its
> behavior as well.

That's different.  According to its manual page, I would expect you to
need the -y option to go with -Y.

> My network is also a home network, but the complications I get into
> are nothing short of amazing.

Nah.  It takes some time to set up, but it works very easily after
that.

>> What you want to do is move the users' entries from master.passwd into
>> your NIS master file, and rebuild the maps.
>
> Do I also need to modify the copy of passwd or is master.passwd the only
> one that matters?

passwd gets generated automatically from master.passwd.
For the main system files, see the manual for pwd_mkdb(8).
For the NIS versions, I don't remember the details offhand, but the
Makefile under /var/yp probably knows all the relevant magic.