Dual Boot Vista - Large Sector Issue

compunction compunction at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:30:00 PDT 2007

The issue is not setting up a dual boot system.  The issue is FDISK
displaying an error relating to the new rules MS is using when setting up a
partition under Vista.  Based on the research covered here (
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/partitions.html) if you use the Vista
installer to create the partition it will be created using the new
rules.  "Vista
is placing partitions on the hard drive using different starting and ending
positions from the recognized conventions."  So if I use the Drive Manager
in Vista to make free space to install FreeBSD, I am unable to install
because FDISK give me an error about the Vista partition not starting on a
sector boundary.

Rachie, I am curious if Partition Magic changed the partition back to the
standard conventions, or if your copy of Vista and factory installed and the
drive was setup under the standard conventions.

I am still left wondering if/when fdisk will support this new partition
layout?

Thanks,
Mark