help with text-append over SSH ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 17:04:13 PDT 2007

I have an account on a system where I cannot log in
over SSH, but I _can_ run a limited set of commands
remotely, over SSH.  (I am in a jail of some sorts).

I want to append the contents of a local text file to
the contents of a remote text file, over SSH.

Normally, I would do this locally with:

cat file1 >> file2

But again, file2 is remote, and I can't log in
there... I have access to the 'echo' command and the
'dd' command (among others) on the remote host ... so
for instance, I can do things like this:

ssh user at host rm -rf filename

So, with all that in mind, how do I append the
contents of a local file to a remote file, over SSH,
using either 'echo' or 'dd' ?

Thanks.