best way to update ports

Bill Stwalley stwalley2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:33:45 PDT 2007

Hi,

I need your advice on how to update security patches for ports on a dozen
servers with minimal efforts.

As I gathered, I should run portaudit in cron jobs and then manually update
the ports with vulnerabilities after reading UPDATING.  Is this the best
way?  Is this manual way feasible for managing a dozen servers?

I used to run portupgrade in cron jobs, but that created too much
nightmare.  For example, imap-uw broke for a few days recently.

Someone recommended
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html .
It's great for maintaining machines with identical ports installed, but not
good when ports are installed with different options on different servers.

Thanks, Bill