offline installation of Xorg - Re: unable to install XFree86

williamkow williamkow at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 03:37:46 PDT 2007

   How can I install Xorg, if there is no internet connection ? I means
   offline installation of Xorg ?
   I got a lot error codes, relating to accessing the http sites. Please
   advise. Thank you.
   ____
   John Murphy wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:23:26 +0800
williamkow [1]<williamkow at yahoo.com> wrote:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
# make install.
==>  XFree86-3.3.6_11 is marked as broken: Does not build on FreeBSD >=6.x.
*** Error code 1

Is that means, the XFree86 should not install and run on my newly
installed FreeBSD 6.2-Release ?

Yes. You need to install xorg instead. You can use pkg_add -r xorg
which would be quicker than building the port. It's explained very
well in the handbook, which also tells how to configure it when
the install has finished:

[2]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

There's also a section (5.7.3.1) on enabling The KDE Display Manager:

[3]http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html