what kind of UPS will work best?

Rob bitabyss at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:40:50 PDT 2007

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Outstanding; thanks++ for the URL for the watt/amp/volt/Hz/VA
> 	meter.  I just ordred one.   Also for the  ups_selector page.

Glad to help.  When you're experimenting with the meter, remember that
for many devices you need to plug it in for a couple days to average out
the load.  Like a refrigerator, where the defrost only kicks in every
few days.  No so big a deal on computers, but you'll still get more
accurate numbers.  I saw one online review of the thing where the author
was testing devices for less than an hour at a time, which is NOT going
to give any accurate results.

Some of my discoveries:  CRTs that don't go into low power mode suck
obscene amounts of power.  Refrigerators aren't as bad a you might
think.  Most the draw in a residence is the HVAC.

I'll send you (off list) a spreadsheet I was using to track stuff.

   -Rob