wyswyg editors for tex (was re: replacement for open office)

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Mon Oct 8 08:31:21 PDT 2007

 Le 07/10/2007 à 19:18:04-0700, Christopher Cowart a écrit
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:10:56AM +0000, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > I finally got around to compiling abiword and I get the following when
> > I try to run it:
> >
> > > abiword
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >
> > > uname -a
> > FreeBSD monsert 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Sun Oct  7
> > 20:47:51 UTC 2007     plos at monsert:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MONSTER  amd64
> >
> > I don't want to bother with attempting to figure out why it broke.
> > My question is since it looks like I am stuck with Tex is there any
> > wyswyg editors for it?
>
> I've heard good things about kile (editors/kile), but have never used it
> on FreeBSD. It's also from the KDE folks, so you might be waiting a long
> time for all libraries to compile.

Kile is not a wyswyg for TeX editors.

Kile is a application to allow you make TeX more easly thant vi file.tex
but you always enter directly tex commands.

IMHO TeX is not so hard to learn. TeX/LaTeX become very hard when you want
do something very fine. And in that case it's simple the other software
(like OpenOffice/Word/etc.) just can do that.

For me TeX is the best for formating some documents. All my documents is in
TeX (well in fact in LaTeX) or in ... ascii.

Regards.
--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon