what kind of UPS will work best?

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Sun Oct 7 12:44:46 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:12:00AM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are basically two types of UPS' around: online and stand-by or fly-by.
>
> The online version is much more expensive but also much better in
> critical conditions.
>
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >	Hi Folks,
> >
> >	Recently, a storm happened and the power surge blew me
> >	off-line.  Time to get serious about buying a UPS that will
> >	handle my four main servers for at-most, a 10-second power
>
> You have the choice between four individual boxes or one big box.
>
> Cases like this let the online version shine. Stand-by versions fail
> pretty often especially if you have a neighbour around running big
> engines powered directly from the power lines.
>
> Even big air-cons can cause the problems.
>
> >	Linux} computer?  Is there a UPS that is designed for heavy use
> >	and a very short (5- to 10-second) uptime?  I'll need one that can
>
> I do not think that it is a good advice to go for 10 second uptime. Take
> a rating fitting your machines (400W power rating for the machine, 600VA
> for the UPS) with at least 10 minutes uptime.
>
> APC supplies you with both types of UPS.
>
> All APC I have seen failing were of the fly-by type, all other were the
> online version. I think, it will be the same for any other brand.
>
> But do not drop dead when you see the price difference. This will be
> money well spend.

	First, thank to both you and Bart for your cmments.  You were
	*right* about the price.  Can I assume that a ballpark would be
	400W for each server?  (My wife is right: I've got to cut back to
	three computers:-)  I've found one APC 2200VA with a 17minute
	uptime.  3 times 400W, yes?

	The first thing is to be sure of getting  large enough UPS to
	bridge the few-seconds power outtages or fraction/section surges.
	So I need help there.   Another question or two can wait.

	thanks for any further clues!

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix