C++ Compiler On FreeBSD

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 7 08:08:32 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 10:33:12AM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:

> In the Unix world (such as with FreeBSD), I'd recommend C before C++,
> too -- though probably long after Ruby or Perl.

Too right. But it should be noted that both C and C++ give you enough
rope to hang yourself with.

My preference for doing things is;

1) Can it be done with a shell-script? (esp. one-time hacks)
2) Else use Perl, Octave, Ruby, but
3) If speed is key, use C. :-)

> > > Im using Borland C++ compiler on XP and was wondering what compilers
> > > there are for FreeBSD that would allow me to compile and execute some
> > > of the examples i will practise from the book.
> >
> > FreeBSD comes with the GNU C++ and C compilers installed. There are
> > others available (Intel) or in progress (OpenWatcom).
>
> Also in progress is the TenDRA compiler, though FreeBSD support is part
> of what's "in progress".

Both OpenBSD and NetBSD (pkgsrc) have recently imported Anders Magnusson's
BSD-licensed pcc compiler. At this time it is i386 en C only. In time
this might be a faster (as in compile-time) alternative to gcc.

Roland