Server Reboot

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Sun Oct 7 04:55:05 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
  From: Gary Kline
  To: Garrett Cooper
  Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 10:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Server Reboot

  On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:19:12AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
  > Grant Peel wrote:
  > >Hi all,
  > >
  > >This is the first time in 10 years I have seen this.
  > >
  > >I have a Dell PE750 (vintage 2004), running FreeBSD 6.2 that had been
  > >up and running for about 30 days without any issues.
  > >
  > >The server somehow rebooted last night, apparently, all by itself.
  > >
  > >The last log file line I can find waqs about 12:30 AM. The dmesg shows
  > >it restarted about 1:12 AM. dmesg shows some file errors that were
  > >fixed upon reboot, other that that, everything is back up and running
  > >normally.
  > >
  > >I was wondering if anyone has seen anything similar and if a cause was
  > >found.
  > >
  > >Here is what I know:
  > >
  > >-all servers (there are 5 more) are plugged into the same power bar
  > >and none of the others were affected
  > >-none of the standard logs show any intrusion or root log in attempt,
  > >-dmesg and console log show nothing of note,
  > >-the DRAC logs and ESM logs show nothing,
  > >-the sensors (temp,voltage,etc) logs currently show no issues, all
  > >well withing normal parms.
  > >-my MRTG logs show no abnormal CPU usage or network activity.
  > >

  > >Any help would be appreciated,
  > >
  > >-Grant
  >
  > Check the capacitors on the motherboard (in particular near the
  > memory and processor); they may be going bad (esp with that vintage.
  > 2004 Dell was a bad year =P..).
  > You'll be looking for swelled capacitors and possibly some orange
  > dialectric being emitted.
  > -Garrett

  Strange. In just the past few, 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks my
  Dell-8200 has spontaneouslyrebooted too. I do have a number of
  things in /var/log/messages, but nothing that I can seee that
  would cause this problem. Before the video-card started flaking
  out, this puppy ran for weeks/months happily. AFAIW, X (or a
  heavily-loaded system) shouldn't have aynything to do with this
  problem, [yes/no??]. Any clues, Garrett?

  Ah, wait: dmesg.yesterday says

  rl0: link state changed to UP
  pid 729 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
  pid 4475 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
  pid 60174 (firefox-bin), uid 1000: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 47564 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 47570 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 79051 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 79057 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 3625 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 3631 (as), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
  pid 74013 (conftest), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

  This file is timestamped 03 Oct 07 at 03:17

  Anybody know why firefox would core dump? I have no clue waht
  "conftest" is... .

  Grant, how oten has your system failed?

  gary

  Gary,
  I have owned this server since new (in 2004), and this is the first time it has done this. I also have another PE750 that was bought and deployed the same time as this one and it has never done this.

  I am not running anything graphical on this, so I am guessing its not the built in video card. It is running as a server only. Apache 2, Mysql, 4PHP4, Perl5, Exim4, vm-pop3d, ipa, Openwebmail, and a number of add in modules for all the above.

  One thing I may have neglected in my original post, is that it appears the system may have been locked for a while since the last log entry I can find befor the reboot was at about 12:20 am, the system then shows the reboot at about 1:20 AM.

  -Grant

  --
  Gary Kline kline at thought.org www.thought.org Public Service Unix
  http://jottings.thought.org http://transfinite.thought.org

        Total Control Panel  Login
        To: gpeel at thenetnow.com  Message Score:  50   High (60): Pass
        From: kline at tao.thought.org  My Spam Blocking Level:  High  Medium (75): Pass
             Low (90): Pass
           Block messages from this sender (blacklist)

        This message was delivered because the content filter score did not exceed your filter level.