BASH as root shell (static linking)

Old Ranger ranger at oldpathsbaptistchurch.org
Fri Oct 5 22:52:22 PDT 2007

RW wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:09:46 -0400
> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 12:32:22AM +0100, RW wrote:

>>> I don't understand, why would you see csh if you login as toor
>>>
>> It has no shell in the /etc/passwd entry by default.
>> Maybe it then defaults to csh (which is really tcsh) if nothing
>> else is given.
>>

> It defaults to sh
>

>> Anyway, I prefer tcsh, but if the OP just has to have it bash,
>> it is easy to do.
>>

> I actually value my ignorance of tcsh, it prevents me doing anything
> ambitious if I forget where I am. Explicitly selecting another shell is
> like a safety-catch. And tsch is fairly friendly without knowing much
> about it.
>

>> All the OP has to do is install bash from /usr/ports/shells/bash and
>> then edit /etc/passwd to change the last field for toor - after the
>> last colon - to point to where it installs bash (/usr/local/bin/bash
>> maybe) and then it should all be fine.
>>

> Yes , that's what it's for.

Hey look,
BASH is not a UNIX shell.
BASH occurred with Linux then carried over into FreeBSD.
While it has "some" advantages, it is still a bastard.

UNIX is written in "C"

Want the best you can get?  Use "tcsh" as a shell and let the linux
community do whatever they want.

SHEESH

Z. Wade Hampton
A UNIX person