BASH as root shell (static linking)

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Oct 5 17:11:22 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 12:32:22AM +0100, RW wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:29:36 -0700 (PDT)
> Philip Hallstrom <freebsd at philip.pjkh.com> wrote:

> > > Yeah, I'v done that in the past, but I really dislike csh, I don't
> > > want to use
> > > it EVER =p
>
> I don't understand, why would you see csh if you login as toor

It has no shell in the /etc/passwd entry by default.
Maybe it then defaults to csh (which is really tcsh) if nothing
else is given.   Seems strange if it does that, but???

Or, maybe the OP managed to get it put in the /etc/passwd entry.

Anyway, I prefer tcsh, but if the OP just has to have it bash,
it is easy to do.

All the OP has to do is install bash from /usr/ports/shells/bash and
then edit /etc/passwd to change the last field for toor - after the last
colon - to point to where it installs bash (/usr/local/bin/bash maybe)
and then it should all be fine.

////jerry