Equations (WAS: good replacement for open office)

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Oct 5 10:52:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 12:34:00PM -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:
> On 10/5/07, Frank Jahnke <jahnke at sonatabio.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've given up on trying to find a BSD or Linux program that is good
> > enough for this purpose -- none really are.  So I just use Word in a VM
> > and am done with it.
>
> Have you tried LyX?

I think "this purpose", in this case, means "collaborating with people
using MS Word".  That being the case, LyX is sort of the opposite of what
he needs, even if it handles equation work excellently for print --
because, of course, it *doesn't* handle MS Word DOC format at all.

At least, it didn't the last time I checked.  I imagine the LyX
maintainers haven't suddenly jumped on the "interoperate with MS Office"
bandwagon lately.

Brian K. Reid: "In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."