Problems with www.freebsd.org

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:32:16 PDT 2007

On 10/4/07, Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci at ridecharge.com> wrote:
> George Fazio wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm having some problems with the FreeBSD site. Basically, when I type
> >> www.freebsd.org in the address bar in Firefox I can't access the web.
> >> I get always a timeout.
> >>
> >> The funny thing is that I can do ping and if I use the IP address I
> >> can access the main page, but then most of the links are not working
> >> for me.
> >>

> > I've seen this issue on my machines sparactically as well.  Last night, I
> > could not get to www.freebsd.org.  Fetch was reporting "No route to host",
> > when I did a traceroute it was dying on a Yahoo router ... I didn't think
> > to write it down at the time so I can't tell you which one.  I'm on
> > Comcast in the Philly area of PA for reference.  It came out of Comcast,
> > went to Level3 and then to Yahoo. Oh, and I wasn't even able to ping it in
> > my case.
> >
> > Hope this helps someone track it down.  I can currently traceroute all the
> > way to the site, so whatever the issue is it seems to not be an issue at
> > the moment.  But, I've seen this at least twice in recent memory, so
> > something appears to be flakey somewhere.
> Its very wierd -- mine from VA went the same path -- I couldn't ping it,
> but I did an nmap on it and port 80 was listed as open.
>
> Other times it's died, but not in yahoo -- I have access to some
> computers at OSUOSL.

I tried just now:
[fernape at hammer ~]$ traceroute www.freebsd.org
traceroute to www.freebsd.org (32.1.4.248), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  mygateway1.ar7 (192.168.1.1)  2.931 ms  3.936 ms  4.211 ms
 2  * * *
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5   (217.239.38.161)  78.111 ms  80.583 ms  82.848 ms
 6  ns.de.prserv.net (195.66.224.27)  75.446 ms  65.889 ms  66.666 ms
 7  * * *
 8  * * *
 9  * * *
10  * * *
11  * * *
12  * * *
13  * * *
14  * * *
15  * * *
16  * * *
17  * * *
18  * * *
19  * * *
20  * * *
21  * * *
22  * * *
23  * * *
24  * * *
25  * * *
26  * * *
27  * * *
28  * * *
29  * * *
30  * * *

Can't connect to the site. Can't ping to the site. I didn't change any
configuration on my machine. Any freebsd site's sysadmin or someone
who can contact them?

Cheers