Where do I find the PERL compatible functions for php

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Oct 3 14:55:33 PDT 2007

Andrew Falanga wrote:
> On 10/2/07, *Kevin Kinsey* wrote:
>
>     Actually, it's been "split out" for some time now; you can get
>     PCRE support for your pre-existing PHP installation by installing
>     ports/devel/php5-pcre.  But, since most users want PHP to support
>     many technologies/modules, the general thing to do is to install
>     ports/lang/php5-extensions and, in this case, be sure that "pcre"
>     is checked during the configure stage (which, I believe, it is
>     by default); after that, devel/php5-pcre and several other php5-foo
>     ports will be added to your system, and PHP will suddenly grok
>     things like XML, SQL, and Perl-compatible regular expressions
>     (or at least whatever you enabled).
>
> One of the irritating things, but also very practical, about Google mail
> is that messages I send to this list do not show up in my inbox until
> someone responds.  I was actually able to figure this out last night by
> going to php.net and searching under the extension categories
> and found PCRE.  I then went to freshports.org and found php5-pcre in
> /usr/ports/devel/php5-pcre.  Once I knew where to find it in the ports,
> I was able to fix the problem.  This also helped me fix the lack of
> php5-xml and php5-sessions.
>
> One question I have for the maintainers of these ports and the ports
> infrastructure, why are these all listed in different places?
>
> |/usr/ports/devel/php5-pcre/
> || /usr/ports/textproc/php5-xml/
> ||/usr/ports/www/php5-session/
>
> |Not that these categories are wrong, or don't make sense, but why
> wouldn't they all be lumped under /usr/ports/lang, or /usr/ports/devel
> or something like that?

I'm not a ports maintainer, but I'll venture a guess; they aren't
languages, so they aren't under ports/lang, and not all of them are
related to development, per se, so they aren't under that, and ...

Anyway, "DTRT" is an axiom that most committers, whether ports or
the source or doc trees, are fairly well committed to, so under
ports/lang they are not....

And to answer your last question above and the one below, the
"Meta Port" /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions is where these are
all "lumped together", so you don't have to google freshports, or
"make search" in /usr/ports 34 times to find all the modules
you want for your PHP installation.  Note that many "large ports"
now have a "meta port" (Xorg, XFCE come to mind*) which take care
of installing various portions of the respective software sets.

> Oh, lastly, once a port has been built, how can one redo the build of
> that port with different options selected?

Something like this, for those ports that use the OPTIONS
framework, and using the above port as an example:

   # cd /usr/ports/lang/php5-extensions && make rmconfig
   # make config; make install clean

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

*I should think GNOME and KDE also, and others, but dunno
for sure and I'm not taking time to check atm....
--
I'm defending her honor, which is more than she ever did.