SOS linux_base-fc4

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Oct 2 15:23:04 PDT 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:33:44 -0300 luizbcampos at gmail.com wrote:

>      Hi, everybody! My box runs FreeBSD-6.1-R amd64 and I need to print an
> important doc; its driver when uncompressed features i386.rpm files and

Did you mean a printer's driver?

> linux_base-fc4  is not at /usr/ports/emulators..

>      What should I do? Shall I have to update all the OS in order to setup
> "linux_base-fc4 or shall I have to upgrade by using another command?

A good start to understand FreeBSD is to read it's oficial
Handbook. Your question has nothing to do with linux_base. And
questions like "What is the ports system? How to get a FreeBSD ports
tree? How to install an application from ports or via packages?" are
described at "The Handbook". Ex.:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

>     Yesterday, I run CVSUP and I followed all the steps to upgrade FreeBSD
> but...linux_base-fc4  was not  at /usr/ports/emulators!

Which supfile did you use? If you used the one for ports (not for the
system files) you should get /usr/ports tree.

Please read the above mentioned document. After reading you will
understand that there are options (i.e. installing via port or
packages) and how to do them. If you have a more concrete question
(with logs, error messages etc.) you are welcome back and we'll be
glad to help you.

BTW good docs have been always an advantage of *BSD...

WBR
--
bsam