doing a minimal FreeBSD install

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Oct 2 14:43:09 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:59:55PM -0700, Rogelio Bastardo wrote:
> I'm looking to install only the bare essentials to FreeBSD and then
> install each program piece-by-piece afterwards.
>
> To do this, do I just need the first FreeBSD 6 ISO?  Or can I get away
> with just the boot CD ISO and then install each port one-by-one?
>
> (Basically, I just wanna build a Nagios server, and that requires
> very, very little)

A bit more work perhaps than you're willing or able to commit, but you
might be interested in MiniBSD - a set of scripts that enable you to
pare down a base FreeBSD system to something very small indeed.

http://www.minibsd.org

It needs some practice to get it right, but the results are quite
useful when you get it right!

Dan

--
Daniel Bye