Advanced Routing/Firewall Interface Options for FreeBSD 7

Erik Osterholm freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org
Wed Nov 28 14:34:22 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 09:08:37PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD 7 supports ZFS. From there, NFS and Samba are easy. I've been
> > using Solaris for this, but it's rather archaic in many ways, and the
> > only reason I use it is for the stable ZFS support. Everything else in
> > Solaris - given my needs - is a poor match.
>
> People have reported problems with ZFS and NFS and Samba in the past.
> Test throughly before using (and report problems, if any :) ).

While this is true, recent versions of Samba have addressed the issue.
I'm running a ZFS pool with Samba sharing it to my network, and it's
working flawlessly.

FreeBSD localhost 7.0-BETA1.5 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5 #0: Wed Oct 24 23:17:30 UTC 2007 root at myers.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

samba-3.0.26a_1,1   A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX

Erik