Advanced Routing/Firewall Interface Options for FreeBSD 7

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 28 11:32:49 PST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to combine my file server and router into a single box.
Before you tell me this is a bad idea, let me remind you this is a
personal installation (not intensive file serving) and the machine and
NICs are fairly beefy.

FreeBSD 7 supports ZFS. From there, NFS and Samba are easy. I've been
using Solaris for this, but it's rather archaic in many ways, and the
only reason I use it is for the stable ZFS support. Everything else in
Solaris - given my needs - is a poor match.

Can anybody suggest what options there are for having a router/
firewall configuration interface placed atop FreeBSD 7 with ZFS? I
want something along the lines of pfSense (GUI for traffic shaping,
hopefully setup a simple VPN) that can also serve files and perhaps
run some software that puts free CPU cycles to use. Maybe I might run
Apache/MySQL for testing a few sites locally.

Any ideas? pfSense is not designed to work atop a standard FreeBSD
distribution, nor is m0n0wall, and even if I used or modified their
integrated distribution, I suspect it lacks ZFS support.

-Galen