Upper limit on make -j ?

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 28 01:59:00 PST 2007

Brian wrote:
> There's a thread on the -stable list about 8 cores being an issue in a
> very specific case.  I couldn't imagine setting j to something more than
> 2x or 3x at the most of your available cores.

So it's okay by you that freebsd utilities crash when you overload them?
  Not to me ;-)

BTW, Aryeh, posting 800KB of your buildworld output to the mailing list
is exceedingly lame and doesn't help anything.  Please study the gdb
trace provided by Bruce: that is the kind of debugging that was required
here, not huge amounts of irrelevant text from your console.

Kris