HP Deskjet 9800 with hpijs driver

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 26 10:27:41 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 08:05:50AM -0800, Erin McNew wrote:
> Ok.  Let's see what other information I can provide.
>
> I was printing from the gimp.  I looked at the printer setup, and it said
> that it was using lpr.
> As for the PCL, the first line was pretty short, and the second line did
> start indented.  I don't recall if it started where the first ended, but if
> not, it was close to that.  I couldn't see any further lines, but apparently
> there were more, as the printer kept spitting out pages...

The standard printer spooler (lpr) only recognizes a couple of ancient file
types (dvi, ditroff etc). It dumps the input that it gets to a printer,
without formatting it for a certain printer. That is the job of a spooler.

I would suggest that you install the "cups" printer spooler in
combination with the "gutenprint" printer driver. If you have those
installed correctly, you should be able to select your printer from the
gimp, and it should Just Work.

You might also need the 'ppd' file for your printer from
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_9800. This
file tells gutenprint what the capabilities of the printer are.

Roland