Getting around ISP SMTP firewall settings (Re: Submitting a new port if send-pr is broken)

Bob Richards rrichard at blythe-systems.com
Mon Nov 26 04:01:50 PST 2007

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:15:59 +0200
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> I don't think there's an easy way to set up the local Sendmail
> installation to *receive* email from the world without some sort of
> `static address' though.

Actually there is an easy way, I do it here at my work station which is
on a boat, and uses many different modes of connectivity. All of which
are floating IPs.

Get a domain name at dyndns. ANYTHING.servebbs.com/net/org. (it's free)

You can also DNS any domain you own for about $29.00/Year, and simply
MX your mail to your dynamic domain machine on a variety of alternative
ports.

Install ddclient on your machine; it will keep your IP updated at
dyndns.

Install an mta, like sendmail, and smart-host it to your ISP; or
smart-host it to dyndns if your ISP can't/won't do it.

I have been doing this for about 2 years now, and have had no problems
at all.

Bob

--
  _