named problems

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Sun Nov 25 18:42:06 PST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007, at 1:58 PM, bsd wrote:

> Bind works perfectly out of the box on most FBSD recent versions.
>
> You should not move things out of the path they have been setup to.
> Specially on FBSD /etc is reserved for system files.
>
> By default bind is installed in /var/named and should be kept there.
>
> If I was you I would :
> 1. install the latest bind version from the port //
> 2. make sure you don't touch things unless absolutely necessary.
> 3. copy paste of modify the /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf so that
> It corresponds to your needs.
> 4. make sure the /etc/rc.conf has the correct "named" values.
> 5. start it with the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ script for named //
>
> Been runing this one with 1000 zones as both masters and slave never
> had any problem.
>
> If you have more issue could give you a help on debuging bind.
>
> My advice : STICK TO THE FBSD RULES AND PATH unless you perfectly know
> what you are doing.

Thank you for your response. I did not actually change anything with
respect to locations and such,
but some of the permissions in /var/named/etc/namedb I had changed and
could not find document-
ation to tell me specifically what they are supposed to be. And I was
not able to deduce it. As it
turned out, I had a line at the end of named.conf that tried to include
rndc.key file. I removed that
and named started and runs. Now my problem is getting more info on
rndc. I am somewhat confused
about it. But I will get on top of that too, i expect.
ecrit...that's French for writes or has written... it's been over 40
years since I took French in high school.
Thanks again much appreciated;
bonjour
Jeff K