How do I prevent a port from installing?

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sat Nov 24 11:52:26 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:32:21 +0330, Bahman Movaqar wrote:
> On 2007-11-22 David Benfell wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:09:02 +0330, Bahman Movaqar wrote:
> > > However, keep in mind that ant is a build (make) tool for Java
> > > applications.  It is quite possible that there are no applications
> > > that depend on ant for running and at the same time it is likely
> > > that if you deinstall ant you won't be able to build (run?) some of
> > > your Java applications anymore.
> > >
> > Given that I do not feel I can afford to have Java on the system, this
> > is a sacrifice I feel is necessary.  In the process of updating ports,
> > apache-ant has already been reinstalled.  I had installed kaffe when I
> > removed jdk*; but apache-ant now seems to depend on diablo-jdk.
>
> My guess is that when updating ports some Java application is also
> being installed which requires build from source and as a result
> installs ant.  It'd be good to check the installed applications for a
> Java one.

So here's a question.  I see that OpenOffice and Firefox are both using
Java (ouch, this hurts).

I also see now that java_vm is not exiting even after the applet should
have finished running (this with the Blackboard applet that I have specifically
identified as problematic).

Can these ports use kaffe instead?  Or is there a way to force java_vm to
exit without my having to babysit it?  Killing java_vm takes down Firefox
as well.
> > earth% pkg_info -r diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_8
> > Information for diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_8:
> >
> > Depends on:
> > Dependency: xtrans-1.0.4
> > Dependency: xproto-7.0.10_1
> > Dependency: xextproto-7.0.2
> > Dependency: javavmwrapper-2.3
> >
> > earth% cat /var/db/pkg/diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_8/+REQUIRED_BY
> > apache-ant-1.7.0_1
> > earth%
>
> Obvious.
>
> > At least I do not yet see java_vm (which seems to have been the
> > culprit in cases where I was able to get back into the system) yet
> > reappearing.
> >
> > When I encountered difficulty this morning, I had left both firefox
> > and an ports upgrade running.  In the past, I had associated the
> > problem with a java script from Blackboard at the university where I
> > attend and teach, but in the situation this morning, I had not
> > invoked that script.
> >
> > So I'm guessing that java_vm had been invoked by apache-ant which
> > previously depended on jdk* rather than diablo-jdk*.
And, is there a way to tell which other ports rely on java?

> > I am wondering if I have any reason to believe that diablo-jdk is
> > sufficiently different from jdk to avoid the problem.

I see now that it is not.

> No clue here.  But I guess it's not about java_vm that your system goes
> blank since I'm working/developing with both diablo-jdk-1.5.0_06 and
> jdk-1.6.0_01 on an average machine running 6.2-p7.

I upgraded to RELENG_7 hoping to make a USB problem go away (symptoms
changed, but problems remain).  I did not experience the problem prior to
this upgrade.
> I'm not sure but I paste my javavm_wrapper configuration.  It might be
> useful:
> # JDK 1.6
> #JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.6.0
> #JAVA_OS=native
> #JAVA_VENDOR=freebsd
> #JAVA_VERSION=1.6
> #JAVAVM_OPTS=-XX:+UseThreadPriorities
>
> # JDK 1.5
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/dialblo-jdk1.5.0
> JAVA_OS=native
> JAVA_VENDOR=freebsd
> JAVA_VERSION=1.5
> JAVAVM_OPTS=-XX:+UseThreadPriorities

I have now deinstalled diablo-jdk and:

earth# JAVAVM_DRYRUN="YES" java
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/kaffe
JAVAVM_CONF=/usr/local/etc/javavms
JAVAVM_OPTS_CONF=/usr/local/etc/javavm_opts.conf
JAVAVM_PROG=/usr/local/kaffe/bin/java
JAVAVM_OPTS=
JAVAVM_COMMAND=/usr/local/kaffe/bin/java
earth#

At the moment, I don't have a way to invoke the evil applet.  What I don't see
is where this configuration is; what you have above doesn't look at all like
the /usr/local/etc/javavm_opts.conf on my system.  Is this because you stripped
the comments?

Thanks!

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).