Having problems burning a DVD

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 11:22:23 PST 2007

Ok, I've made copies of the DVDs I want to burn.  I used the technique
described in this thread, "duplicating a dvd video" started by a "Dave" back
in July.  Basically, the technique is nothing more than a copy of the disk,
"cp /dev/acd0 /path/to/*.iso."

I'm going off of the instructions in the Handbook for burning DVD video's
and such.  The dvd utilities were already installed so I didn't have to
worry about that.  I added the line, hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" as described in
the handbook.  Rebooted and I'm still getting this error when I use the
command growisofs -Z /dev/acd0 -dvd-video /usr/local/dvds/whereisGod1.iso:

:-( unable to CAMGETPASSTHRU for /dev/acd0: Inappropriate ioctl for device

>From dmesg, my DVD burner is:
acd0: DVDR <NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG/2.16> at ata1-master UDMA33

I looked through the list of DVD drives from the handbook and I didn't see
mine listed and therefore take that to mean folks don't usually have
problems with this drive.  So, what am I doing wrong?

Andy