FreeBSD 7.0

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Nov 24 09:50:53 PST 2007

Jurjen Middendorp wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 10:43:24PM -0800, kasthurirangan balaji wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using FreeBSD 6.1 on my laptop. I understand that
>> FreeBSD 7.0 will have ZFS file system. I did go
>> through the sun website to understand the advantages
>> of ZFS. Given that, will FreeBSD have a
>> BTree/B+Tree(replicating c++ multimaps, but file
>> based) by default on ZFS which i guess should be very
>> useful for persons like me who do not want a full
>> fledged database with all SQL features. I am aware of
>> the existence of dbm/ndbm/gdbm, but i guess all
>> support hash. If my thoughts are wrong, pls correct
>> me. I also hope that i have sent to the correct
>> mailing list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Balaji.
>>

> Hello!
> i don't know about the filesystem things, but if you want a data
> base to program with, you can have a look at dbopen(3) :)
> - jurjen

    As jurjen suggested, BDB can assist you in that way, but be aware of
the caveats of using BDB over SQL (primarily the non-ATOM'ic property).
    But in terms of the C++ API, it only exists with the GNU friendly
version of BDB (4.x) which is significantly different in terms of
interface than the one packaged with libc in FreeBSD (1.85).
    See btree(3) for more info there.
-Garrett