Does anyone know how to get the required downloads from Sun to build Java?

Kent Stewart kbstew01 at owt.com
Fri Nov 23 12:44:03 PST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 06:41:32 am Bill Moran wrote:
> It appears as if jdk 1.5 is now at version 14, but the FreeBSD ports
> still requires version 13.
>
> Luckily, Sun is run by a bunch of Nazis, and doesn't use a standard
> directory tree to distribute their stuff.  After 15 minutes of searching
> I can't figure out how to get the version 13 stuff off their site, and
> thus I can't build OpenOffice.org for my shiny, new laptop ...
>
> Does anyone have any advice on how to get the required files from Sun?

When you try to build any of the ports they supply you with a URL and the
files you need to get the source. For most of them, you need an account that
you have to login to but the account is free. The problem right now is that
1.6 on Windows is the only one I have seen where the applet cache problem has
been fixed. I have a number of machines that have software that gets confused
when 1.6 has been installed and the only detect and upgrade option from
www.java.com is to upgrade to 1.6.

I tried to install jdk*1.6 on FreeBSD 6-stable and it dies. I haven't looked
into it. The security notice was serious enough that I switched my browsing
to a machine that doesn't have the security problems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA