Does anyone know how to get the required downloads from Sun to build Java?

David Robillard david.robillard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 08:49:50 PST 2007

> It appears as if jdk 1.5 is now at version 14, but the FreeBSD ports
> still requires version 13.
>
> Luckily, Sun is run by a bunch of Nazis, and doesn't use a standard
> directory tree to distribute their stuff.  After 15 minutes of searching
> I can't figure out how to get the version 13 stuff off their site, and
> thus I can't build OpenOffice.org for my shiny, new laptop ...
>
> Does anyone have any advice on how to get the required files from Sun?

Hi Bill,

If you need to run Java on FreeBSD, get it from the FreeBSD Foundation.

As it says on the website:

"The FreeBSD Foundation has a license with Sun Microsystems to
distribute FreeBSD binaries for the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and
Java Development Kit (JDK). These implementations have been made
possible through the hard work of the FreeBSD Java team as well as
through donations to the FreeBSD Foundation that supported hardware,
developer costs, and legal fees."

Here's the direct link:

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

HTH,