is this IT or not/

Bahman Movaqar b.movaqar at adempiere.org
Thu Nov 22 20:36:03 PST 2007

On 2007-11-21 Gary Kline wrote:

> 	guys, one last thing before i call it a days; i just tried
> 	kmidi and tried to configure the audio.
> 	got the sound of a breaking glass and the warning that
> something was already using "dev/sequencer". i tried a
> 	ps -alx, but couldn't tell very much..  can anybody shed a
> light?

I guess you, like me, have one of those motherboards with an on-board
sound card.  Most of these sound cards don't have a MIDI sequencer
chip.  So it's very hard, if not impossible, to play MIDI files using
those softwares that require a hardware sequencer to be available -at
least I couldn't make it work.

I have a bunch of old MIDI files which I play frequently; and to play
them I use 'timidity' (ports/audio).  That has a software sequencer
built in -no hardware required- and the output quality is good; not as
great as a hardware playback but it's good.

--
Bahman Movaqar
PGP KeyID: 0xDA647509 (subkeys.pgp.net)

The most prevalent philosophy in application security is that security
should not be added as an after thought, but should be included by
design and default.
-Frank Nimphius