top posting (off-topic)

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Thu Nov 22 19:23:47 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:22:50 +1300, Brent Jones wrote:
> Sorry if this is a bit off topic for this list, but it seem to be a
> comment that comes up very regularly; "please don't top post..."
>
> I for one prefer top posting

This has been hashed out on so many technically-oriented lists, that
it almost appears as a troll.

A friend of mine manages, if I recall correctly, to answer this in a
signature block, pointing to a logical discontinuity inherent in placing
an answer prior to the question.

But it gets worse, when some, particularly newbies, reply to a post in
order to start a completely new topic.

And it gets even worse when some of us--particularly the most helpful
ones--are subscribed to numerous technical lists and should review the
context of the communication prior to responding.

So, my response, and I daresay I speak for others, is for you to get
over it.  You should review the entire context of a communication in
understanding it as well.

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).