efficient terminal/console screencasting

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 05:58:36 PST 2007

On 11:44:49 Nov 22, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> There are basically two ways the subtitles are encoded: bitmap
> and text. Both will require a full screen dump on every update.
> Neither allow for colors (there are html hacks though). AFAIK,
> there's no way to store activity in form of updates in subtitles.

Subtitles can be hard coded into the video with mencoder. The command
line is straight forward.

$ mencoder video.avi -sub subtitles.srt -o videosubtitles.avi -ovc lavc
-oac copy

> Moreover, even in case of bitmaps, subtitles are still utterly
> unstandardized. Their look is very player-dependent.

Not a problem if you hard code them.

> But the idea is cool, thanks! I might perform a few benchmarks
> with mplayer when I have time.

But your basic problem remains unsolved. mencoder can build a video from
frames and you can mux the audio with mplex or some such thing.

All this means a bit of effort.

regards,
Girish