(no subject)

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Nov 21 10:14:57 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:02:47PM -0300, Mario Lobo wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> > >
> > > Ahahahahah !
> > >
> > > Sorry guys. That was really funny !
> >
> > What was so funny??
> > I couldn't understand the question.
> > But, difficulty with the language is not something to laugh at.
> >
> > ////jerry

> Like I said before,
>
> I presume he meant "I would like to know how to install FreeBSD on a laptop.
> Would you have a how-to video?"

Well, that actually helps clarify it.  I think you may be right.
Unfortunately, I don't think such a video has been made.

> I wasn't making fun OF him but the possibility, the image of,  that he really
> meant  "assemble a laptop" sounded funny, that's ALL. Nothing else!.

Guess it kind of missed the mark.   Oh well.

> English is a foreign language for me one day. I am not a native english
> speaker. When I was learning english during my 6 months of exchange student
> in a Pendlenton high school in Indiana back in 1975, I knew people would make
> fun of me. I EXPECTED that !. Among teenagers there is no politness. If you
> say something that sounds funny to them, they will laugh at you in a split
> second. No second thoughts about it. I had to accept my mistakes and laugh
> about them too, otherwise I would go nuts. And their laughs caused me no
> trauma at all.

Yup. but amongst adults, more discretion is expected.
I spent a number of years being a youth leader to middle school (Junior High)
age young people and know quite well how they can be.   I also saw it as
part of my adult duty to teach them more mature and considerate ways.

> Being a foreign student from Brasil in a 400 people town in those days was
> almost like being from mars. I went to an elementry school where the students
> were assembled to hear me talk about my country. And I sttod up and said:
> "In Brasil we have lots of soccer championSHITS". All the kids broke into a
> roaring laughter. I was a little embarassed at first. I didn't know what I
> said wrong. As soon as someone told me what I said, I joined the kids.

Good.  But no excuse.

> I did not expect my microscopic comment to offend anyone. I sincerelly
> apologize and I swear that will never ever post an out-of-freebsd-subject
> comment again.

Good to apologize.

> I sure hope I can end this thread with this.

Yup.

I hope the OP can find some help installing FreeBSD.

////jerry