routing problem

Alaor Barroso de Carvalho Neto alaorneto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:54:43 PST 2007

The nameserver is the 192.168.1.2 in the resolv.conf, sorry my fault. I'm
gonna copy the rc.conf and paste here. But the routes are OK and still OK
for any time when the machine is not the main gateway and have some few
clients using it as gateway, if it was a config problem it wouldn't work
never, no? Is there any chance of the traffic of the network be the
responsible for that???
Thankz the help

2007/11/21, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>:

> > Sorry my english skills, I'm brazilian and I'm not very familiar with
> the
> > language, but I'm gonna try to explain it clearly:
> >
> > LINUX SERVER
> > private network 192.168.1.1
> > external network x.x.x.x
> >
> > FREEBSD SERVER
> > private network 192.168.1.240
> > external network x.x.x.x
> >
> > DNS SERVER
> > private network 192.168.1.2
> >
> > The LINUX machine is the network gateway, I want the FREEBSD to be the
> > gateway, so I tested the freebsd machine configuring some clients
> manually
> > to use the 192.168.1.240 as gateway, 3 machines, everything worked. So I
> > thought: time to replace the linux server. So I turned off the linux
> machine
> > and changed the ip of freebsd to 192.168.1.1, just it, and then it stop
> > working, it can resolv dns for some seconds and then stop. Something
> I've
> > noticed, when it's not the network gateway in fact, with just some
> machines
> > using it as gateway, the return of netstat -r is ok, with the routes of
> the
> > machines accessing it, the active conections, if I just change the ip
> and
> > turn off the LINUX machine, the netstat -r return me no routes at all.
> > Pretty strange.
> >
> > My nameserver is just
> > searchdomain xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
> > nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> You've pointed the FreeBSD machine at itself for DNS.  Do you have a DNS
> server running on this system?  If not, you need to point it at a valid
> DNS server.
>
> If routes are missing then something is configured wrong.  If you'd post
> the contents of /etc/rc.conf, it's more likely that we could provide
> more detailed assistance.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Atenciosamente,
Alaor Neto
CEFET Campos/UNED Macaé
Coordenação de Tecnologia da Informação
(22) 9217-3198 / (22) 2773-6530 ramal 2035