routing problem

Alaor Barroso de Carvalho Neto alaorneto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:44:17 PST 2007

Sorry my english skills, I'm brazilian and I'm not very familiar with the
language, but I'm gonna try to explain it clearly:

LINUX SERVER
private network 192.168.1.1
external network x.x.x.x

FREEBSD SERVER
private network 192.168.1.240
external network x.x.x.x

DNS SERVER
private network 192.168.1.2

The LINUX machine is the network gateway, I want the FREEBSD to be the
gateway, so I tested the freebsd machine configuring some clients manually
to use the 192.168.1.240 as gateway, 3 machines, everything worked. So I
thought: time to replace the linux server. So I turned off the linux machine
and changed the ip of freebsd to 192.168.1.1, just it, and then it stop
working, it can resolv dns for some seconds and then stop. Something I've
noticed, when it's not the network gateway in fact, with just some machines
using it as gateway, the return of netstat -r is ok, with the routes of the
machines accessing it, the active conections, if I just change the ip and
turn off the LINUX machine, the netstat -r return me no routes at all.
Pretty strange.

My nameserver is just
searchdomain xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
nameserver 192.168.1.1