Basically: why such troubles with KDE audio?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 20 15:03:23 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 02:00:11PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:

> > Playing music usually* has nothing to do with
> > mountpoints. Mountpoints are only needed when you want to use a data
> > CD with a filesystem on it.
>
> 	Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I might not want to get sloppy
> 	with data/filesystems on a CDROM... .
> >
> > >	I do want to use
> > > 	tools like K3B so the cc to the kde-freebsd list.    But still
> > > 	wondering, even tho I can get the KDE CD play  to display, and to
> > > 	act as tho it is working---the digits count, the slider moves:
> > > 	nothing from the speakers.  When I bring up gnome-cd, I have
> > > 	audio.
> > >
> > > 	Suggestions from KDE-land, please?
> >
> > I'm not a KDE user, but check which audio device or output plugin the
> > KDE player is trying to use. If the display works (displays artist and
> > track info etc.) it is usually a sign that the data is being read OK. So
> > I would ssupect the output in this case.
>
> 	it --kscd--displays the numerals, counts--up,etc.  just no audio.
> 	how can i  determine what output this program m is trying to use?
> 	AND do so without messing up  my kttsd and other such kde toys?
>
> 	I've used the "configure" option, but see nothing.

Look here:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdemultimedia/kscd/kscd-options-tab.html

What you're looking for should be 'Select audio backend' of 'Select
audio device'.

If you are using the 'arts' backend (KDE's default audio system, I
think?), it may have a configuration dialog of its own somewhere? (Not a
KDE user, so I can't really help you there.)

Roland