multihome network

Bram Van Steenlandt bram at diomedia.be
Fri Nov 16 17:08:20 PST 2007

alexus wrote:
> i dont see any difference as at the end i still get this
>
> 216.112.241.24/29  216.112.241.25     UGS         0        0   fxp1
>
> in my netstat -rn, and no its still doesn't work...
>

> On Nov 16, 2007 12:07 PM, Steve Bertrand <iaccounts at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>
>> alexus wrote:
>>
>>> my private IP that eventually resolves to public IP through PIX is
>>> different then coming from my other public IP that assigned on my fxp1
>>> that comes from another ISP, the fxp1 IP already configured this way
>>> so it pass everything to my box
>>>
>>> what i've tried is adding route on my box
>>>
>>> route add 216.112.241.24 216.112.241.25 255.255.255.248
>>>
>> Wait a minute...this doesn't look right...
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> # route add $homeIP/$netmask $gateway
>>
>> Where:
>>
>> - if you have a static IP at 'home', $netmask should be /32, otherwise,
>> you'll need to shorten the prefix (such like /24) This will depend on
>> your 'home' Internet provider setup
>>
>> - $gateway is the next hop upstream on the interface that has
>> 216.112.241.x address on it.
>>
>> Steve

I'm kind of new to freebsd so forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought this
was not possible with freebsd in a simple way.
On linux you can create a default route for each interface thus packet
get routed properly, on freebsd you can only have one default route (I
think) so this is not really possible.