evolution slow on 7.0

Oliver Peter hoschi at mouhaha.de
Fri Nov 16 13:46:15 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 09:19:56AM -0700, James Harrison wrote:
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > An random idea:  What scheduler are you using in your kernel
> > configuration?  Do you already use  SCHED_ULE  ?
> >

> I built it according to defaults, so I've got the GENERIC kernel running
> right now. As such, I don't know the answer to your question, but if you
> tell me how to check I'll get back to you :)

Since RELENG_7s GENERIC still comes with SCHED_4BSD I assume that you
still have the old one.

To be sure you can verify this by:

  % sysctl kern.sched.name

In your case it should be:

  kern.sched.name: 4BSD

To switch to the new you have to build a new kernel.

Pretty good described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Just be sure to replace

  options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler

With

  options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler

In my case it resolved some mouse and audio problems under X.Org.
Don't know if evolution is affected, too, but you can give it a
chance anyway.

--
Oliver PETER, eMail: hoschi at mouhaha.de, ICQ# 113969174
"Worker bees can leave.  Even drones can fly away.