a curious jails question

Jonathan Horne freebsd at dfwlp.com
Thu Nov 15 07:40:59 PST 2007

ive been building jails for a while, and have always used the
canonical method as listed out in the handbook.  today, i tried
something new.  i have read that instead of doing:

make world ...
make distribution ...

that you can instead:

make installworld ...
make distribution ...

... (assuming your jailhost has already build the latest version) and
save yourself a ton of time.  well, i tried it, and everything seemed
to be fine, until i tried starting it with the /etc/rc script.
ld-elf.so.1 complains that libssl.so.5 cant be found 2 times, but all
my -p8 systems seem to have /usr/lib/libssl.so.4.  i also went back
and reverified my newver.sh from the sources that were built and
installed world from, and it does say 6.2 RELEASE-p8.

so how on earth can it even know libssl.so.5 exists, if libssl.so.4
must be the correct version?

thanks,
--
Jonathan Horne