Ports with GUI configs

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Nov 14 15:06:52 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:23:23PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

> This makes a little file of descriptor words, but it's not set so a
> regular editor can manipulate it; the special ports program is needed to
> set or reset this list.  All ports query this list in making the
> decision as to whether or whether not to include a particular port as a
> dependency.

Ugh.  As far as I'm concerned, everything that pertains to system
configuration should always be human-readable and editable without
special tools.  Trying to insulate things from human ability to directly
manipulate them tends to lead to rapidly increasing difficulty of
debugging configurations.

> I left out one last point> there will be a reject list: a list of port
> names or regular expression patters, of ports that can't be installed
> under any circumstances.

I *love* this idea!

/me starts cobbling together a list of things that start with 'k' or 'g',
preparing for that future date when this is possible.

John Kenneth Galbraith: "If all else fails, immortality can always be
assured through spectacular error."