Ports with GUI configs

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Nov 12 17:38:50 PST 2007

RW wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:54:33 +0100
> Tino Engel <elrap at web.de> wrote:
>
>> RW schrieb:

>>> That's not correct, you can run make config-conditional or  make
>>> config-recursive anytime you like.
>>>

>> But not on a portupgrade... I don't want to run config-recursive on
>> the whole ports tree though....
>
> It's not hard to script it though, something like the following would do
>
> #!/bin/sh
> for p in `pkg_version -ol'<' |awk '{ print $1 }'`; do
>  cd  /usr/ports/${p} && make config-recursive
> done

I can't believe you actually suggested this.  First thing, it would take
you HOURS to complete, and you better not make even one mistake, 'cause
you couldn't even go back far enough to figure out what the name was of
the port you muffed.  Beyond that, since most ports ask questions formed
with the name of the target dependency, aznd not asking things like "do
you want such-and-such capability", so you have to be conversant with
the names and capabilities of nearly 10,000 ports, to be able to do that
job.

Were you really seriously suggesting this.  It's so unworkable, its
laughable.