Botched X.org upgrade, need help

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Nov 12 09:24:09 PST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 03:26:15AM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thursday 08 November 2007, Andrew Falanga said:
> > > directions
[...]
> > (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
> > (II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
> > (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...

I had a very similar experience, with the X server reporting missing modules
immediately after I thought I'd followed the upgrade instructions to the
letter (including the portupgrade -a, migrating all the /usr/X11R6 stuff with
mergebase, and various nvidia-driver caveats).  Turns out that in my case the
xorg-drivers and xorg-fonts ports had not been added by the upgrade process,
probably because I had a missing metaport in my previous install.  That was
the one block of caveats I apparently missed.  In the end, I was able to
just do a make install of the xorg metaport and it picked up the missing
two, then I was back in business.

Perhaps that's what's going on with you?  Or perhaps not --- I see you also
mentioned you hadn't updated ModulePath, and perhaps that was the only reason
you are having problems?  I didn't see a follow-up saying that was it.