Ports with GUI configs

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Mon Nov 12 07:26:23 PST 2007

Hi

I was just wondering, what is the motivation behind the GUI
configuration for some ports?  Simply put, they drive me up the
wall.  I've lost count of the number of times I've come back to a big
install to find it hanging on a config screen.  Possibly I'm missing
something.

The apache22 port is the latest one to join this crowd, although
there is an option to skip the GUI.  I'm much happier using
WITH_PROXY_MODULES or whatever, and managing everything in
pkgtools.conf.

What is the best way to pre-configure GUI-configured ports?  For
example, if I want to script an installation of several ports.

I've seen this: <http://www.freshports.org/misc/dotfile/>, is it what
I'm after?

Thanks for any advice
Ashley