FreeBSD questions

Andy Greenwood greenwood.andy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 04:45:59 PST 2007

Si Thu wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for your answer.

No problem, but please remember to include the list in any replies
unless the person you're talking with spefically asks to take the
conversation off-list. This will ensure that you get the widest possible
audience for your questions, and generally, the best possible answers as
well. Also, please remember to bottom-post your replies, since it makes
the conversation easier to read for people joining in the middle.

> Again let me have one more question, I cannot encode the .wmv to .flv. It
> seems ffmpeg of port is outdated, but I downladed the port from the
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg/?only_with_tag
> =RELEASE_6_2_0

If you want the newer versions of software from the ports tree, don't
limit your results by the tag. Basically, you're saying (IIRC) "I want
the version of the port that was included with this release" instead of
"I want the most recent version of this port." the release versions of
the ports will only be updated for bug fixes, etc. Not new features. I'd
suggest that you just use portsnap to update your local ports tree and
go from there. If you've never used portsnap before, do the following

portsnap fetch extract

If you have already done the extract step above, then use this

portsnap fetch update

from now on. Every time you run this command, your ports tree is updated
with the latest software. As long as you aren't on a really ancient
release, software from the ports tree will ALMOST always compile and
install fine. After your ports tree is updated, just

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg
make deinstall    <- to remove the older version
make install clean   <-to install the new version

Now you should have the latest version and all it's capabilities. I
don't know specifically if this will solve your wmv -> flv problem, but
if not, you will be at a better place to ask questions. You would
probably want to ask your questions about specific software at the
developer's forums or mailing lists though, since this list is supposed
to be mainly for questions about freebsd itself. Good Luck!