Quick question about PF and ALTQ

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 03:03:06 PST 2007

On 14:03:29 Nov 11, Peter Boosten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One quick question: is it possible to filter specific kinds of traffic
> with altq, traffic that is not bound to specific IP addresses, like online
> radio?

Looks like I finally understood what you want.

You want to block the protocol from/to *any* IP address.

This is easily done.

block all
pass out all to { http smtp ftp }

This is a very "cruel" ruleset. :)

Instead you actually want this one.

nonbusiess= "{" 522 bittorrent ... "}"

block quick drop out all to port $nonbusiness

As you can see using pf, you can leave out anything.

That is the power of this marvelous creation.

It gives tremendous power to firewalls.

In fact I would venture to say it is the best software available for
firewalling functionality.

Best,
Girish