ps options

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Nov 11 09:53:41 PST 2007

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Nov 10), Chuck Robey said:
>> I have spent all the time I can stand, going over the ps man page, but I
>> can't see any option to get a hierarchical listing.  I mean, where the
>> listings are sorted to where parents come before children, and the children
>> get indentation, so you can see at a glance what's running more easily.
>> It's a standard thing on many OSes, and I was sorta hoping it'd be
>> available on FreeBSD.  Maybe under a different name?
>
> It's usually a separate command (ptree on Solaris for example).  Try
> the sysutils/pstree port.

I've gotten a lot of replies, so I thought to give a blanket "Thank you"
because pstree is just what I wanted.  You might actually be as suprised
as I was when I found that both Solaris and Linux both of them (and some
others, but I forget which ones) do happen to have an option to ps
itself, tha gives the same as a pstree listing, which is why I asked
about options.  Doesn't matter, I'm quite pleased now, so again: Thanks!