Can someone please help me get gdmchooser running, again?

Lane Holcombe lane at joeandlane.com
Fri Nov 9 21:11:26 PST 2007

I'm running FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #1, compiled locally on Tue May  8
16:39:25 CDT 2007

I was able to use gdmchooser on X.org 7.2, but after upgrade to 7.3 (and
GDM 2.20.1) she says "no serving hosts were found" after scanning the
local network

When I first started this email, I got this from

sockstat -l46  | grep 177

lholcombessh-agent  30601 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*
lholcombegnome-sess 30587 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*
root     Xorg       30570 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*
root     gdm-binary 30569 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*
root     gdm-binary 29955 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*

Now, after monkeying with it (including a few reboots), I get

root     gdm-binary 33486 8  udp4   *:177                 *:*

so it seems that gdm is listening on 177, but the chooser doesn't list
the local system as an X server.  Instead the chooser reports "no
serving hosts were found"

I can log in using the greeter, but I'd really like to use the chooser,
as I've got several machines running X, and I'm too cheap to buy extra
keyboards, and too lazy to move around the office to do my work :)

gdm was compiled WITHOUT IPv6 support, and I've got

ipv6_enable="NO"

in /etc/rc.conf

It's gotta be something simple, 'cause I didn't spend much time setting
up the chooser originally.  But I think I need an extra set of eyes to
see what I'm not seeing :)

Here is the uncommented part of /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf:

[daemon]
Greeter=/usr/local/libexec/gdmgreeter
RemoteGreeter=/usr/local/libexec/gdmgreeter

[security]
AllowRemoteRoot=true
DisallowTCP=false
NeverPlaceCookiesOnNFS=false
CheckDirOwner=false

[xdmcp]
Enable=true

[gui]

[greeter]
IncludeAll=true
GraphicalTheme=happygnome-list
GraphicalThemeRand=true
GraphicalThemes=circles/:happygnome-list/:happygnome

[chooser]

[debug]
Enable=true

[servers]